9. I limped off the playing fields and back to my car with considerable pain in my heel. What made me stop running that day? I’m not sure. I guess it always reaches a point when you just know, the game is up. I had been using pain killers for several weeks which had slowlyContinue reading “Chapter 9: Denial”
8. I ran for 40 weeks uninterrupted during the 2010-2011 season, the longest streak between my first brush with injury in 2004 and eventually becoming consistent in 2016. This was partly due to discovering the benefits of barefoot running on playing fields in 2010. Very quickly, every physiological measure (heart rate, lactate threshold, body composition)Continue reading “Chapter 8: The Marshmallow Test”
7. I had conquered most of my running injuries but for the remnant of one, my Achilles heel. The pain in my right Achilles tendon hung around, reminding me of sins from my past. It didn’t stop me running, usually, but intermittently it would flare up in ways that would force me to modify trainingContinue reading “Chapter 7: No brain no pain”
6. Once I became a serious runner in 2003, I always had serious shoes. Variants of structured, semi-structured, arch supported or neutral shoes but always highly cushioned and usually highly expensive. There is only one thing that can make a running shoe more expensive and that is the orthotic you put in it. This wasContinue reading “Chapter 6: I’m a foot get me out of here”
5. It was December 2017, and I had been running for two years consistently. I had just completed a physically and mentally demanding block of training in preparation for a race, which was ultimately cancelled due to snow. My body and mind were tired and Christmas was approaching. I granted myself some rest in theContinue reading “Chapter 5: The devil makes work for idle legs”
Come back next Monday May 3rd for an extract from Chapter 5: The devil makes work for idle legs. Pre-order the book now on amazon, out June 28th 2021.
Come back this Friday April 30th for an extract from Chapter 4: Use it or lose it. Pre-order the book now on amazon, out June 28th 2021.
Come back Monday April 26th for an extract from Chapter 3: Before you knew what was wrong with you. Pre-order the book now on amazon, out June 28th 2021.
Come back this Friday April 23rd for an extract from Chapter 2: Someone that I used to know. Pre-order the book now on amazon, out June 28th 2021.
This book has been 18-years in the making and 4-years in the writing. It will be released on the 28th of June 2021. Short story extracts featured at the beginning of each chapter will be released every Monday and Friday starting on Monday 19th April 2021. Here are the chapters and thank you for reading: